Skip to main content

the Scott County Community Memory Project

The Scott County Community Memory Project was funded by IMLS grant #LG-27-19-0224-19 to collect and preserve the history of rural Scott County, Iowa. Individuals and organizations agreed to give the Scott County Library System a digital copy of these items to provide public access to important local history.

More right-solid
More right-solid
More right-solid
SHOW DETAILS
up-solid down-solid
eye
Title
Date Archived
Creator
Largest known 8th grade graduating class from the two-room Blue Grass Independent School.
Topics: Heirshmann, Paul, Koll, Harvey, Shado, Norma, Pahl, Velma, Stevenson, Kenneth, Soenke, Albert,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Ehrecke, Marie (Collins)
texts
eye 9
favorite 0
comment 0
A family photo album, including some loose photos, created by Marie (Collins) Ehrecke. The album includes some Blue Grass elementary class photos, as well as St. Ambrose Academy reunion photos.
Topics: Ehrecke, Marie (Collins), Ehrecke, Vernon, Brandt, Earl, Weddings, Shellaberger, Lyle,...
This group of crossbred hogs, owned by Ralph Keppy Jr. of Durant, Iowa, was named the Reserve Champion Truckload at the 1967 National Barrow Show in Austin, Minnesota. Deanne Young of Clarion, Iowa (the 1967 National Pork Queen) is handing Keppy the ribbon for his prize-winning load. The ten hogs in the load weighed 2,255 lbs and were sold to Oscar Mayer & Co. of Davenport, Iowa for $28.00 cwt.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Ralph, Swine, National Barrow Show
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 8
favorite 0
comment 0
The Plett Brothers, John, Henry and Herman, ran this General Merchandise and Grocery Store as early as 1892. The Modern Woodman of America Hall was above the store and the hall was used for community events. For a period of time the post office was housed in this building. In 1907 it was sold to Ed Plett and Henry Schroeder. From 1912 to 1940 Henry Schroeder operted the store and was the only owner. There was no grocery store in Blue Grass during thw war. In 1946 this building was reopened by...
Topics: Grocery stores, Postal service, Plett, John, Plett, Henry, Plett, Herman, Plett, Ed, Schroeder,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 8
favorite 0
comment 0
Hogs on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 7
favorite 0
comment 0
Harry and Alfred Ehrecke, sons of Rudolph and Magdalena Kautz Ehrecke, built the first ice cream parlor in Blue Grass along W. Mayne Street. They sold only homemade ice cream. It was also a billiard hall. The Ehrecke's sold the business to Ray Broders in 1936. Mr. Broders took out a beer license and the ice cream parlor became a tavern. Mr. and Mrs. Broders held platform dances in the back yard of the tavern every Saturday night during the summer months. This is the current site of Uncle...
Topics: Ice cream parlors, Billiard parlors, Ehrecke, Alfred, Ehrecke, Harry, Broders, Ray.
Women gather around a table at the 1958 lard baking contest sponsored by the Scott County Pork Producers. Arlene Clark, Marilyn Litscher, and Janice Golinghorst are facing the camera. Many of the women participating had husbands active in the Scott County Pork Producers. This may have been the 2nd annual event of its type in Scott County. The lard contests were set up to demonstrate the value of lard as shortening. Each participant was given 1 lb of lard and required to submit a baked good...
Topics: Agriculture, Scott County Pork Producers, Baking, Clark, Arlene, Litscher, Marilyn, Golinghorst,...
Horses and buggies line up at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. This photo was possibly part of the horse show, which featured Roy Curtis and his 20 horse hitch.
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture, Horses, Curtis, Roy
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 6
favorite 0
comment 0
Roy Keppy poses with some of his hog championship trophies circa 1968. Keppy won first place in the Grand Champion and Grand Champion Truckload events at the National Barrow Show in 1967. He won the Grand Champion Truckload event in 1960, 1965, 1967 and 1968 with crossbred hogs.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine, National Barrow Show
A group of men stand in a wagon at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. 21 contestants participated in the event. Local man, Ralph Keppy, won the Scott County contest but placed 3rd in the Iowa contest and wasn't eligible to compete in the national competition held at his family's farm.
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture, Keppy, Ralph
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 6
favorite 0
comment 0
An outbuilding on Roy Keppy's Glendale farm, probably for hogs. Keppy was a charter member of many farm organizations including the Scott County Pork Producers. He also served on the boards of the Iowa Pork Producers, the National Pork Producers, the National Livestock and Meat Board, and the ISU Extension Service.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Keppy, Roy
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 6
favorite 0
comment 0
The Plett Brothers, John, Henry and Herman, ran this General Merchandise and Grocery Store as early as 1892. The Modern Woodman of America Hall was above the store and the hall was used for community events. For a period of time the post office was housed in this building. In 1907 it was sold to Ed Plett and Henry Schroeder. From 1912 to 1940 Henry Schroeder operted the store and was the only owner. There was no grocery store in Blue Grass during thw war. In 1946 this building was reopened by...
Topics: Grocery stores, Postal service, Plett, John, Plett, Henry, Plett, Herman, Plett, Ed, Schroeder,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 6
favorite 0
comment 0
First through eighth grade students in the early 1900s with teacher Miss Ellen McGarvey
Topics: McGarvey, Ellen, Schools, Education
Men with pitchforks at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. 
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Post card of Mayne Street looking East. On the left is the Implement Building and on the right is the Tavern. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Postcards, Agricultural equipment, Bars
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Chris Kautz General Store is located on the SE corner of Mayne and Mississippi Streets. The address is 101 E. Mayne St. The house to the left was lived in by Chris and his family. 1920 Census records for Blue Grass has the following information: Chris Kautz was born about 1857 in Illinois, his wife Sofia was born about 1876 in Iowa and his son Chris was born about 1909. The store sold groceries, hardware, dry goods, paint and oil and was advertised in a 1909 city directory. This store was sold...
Topics: Grocery stores, Kautz, Chris, Kautz, Sofia, Kautz, Chris Jr., Jens, Elmer, Hoffbauer, Edward J.
The minutes from a 1957 meeting of the Scott County Pork Producers. The group was created in 1956 by area farmers. The minutes discuss the first annual banquet held on January 15, 1957 at the Masonic Temple in Davenport, Iowa. More than 500 people attended. At the time of this meeting, the group was called the Scott County Swine Producers.
Topics: Agriculture, Scott County Pork Producers, Eating & Drinking, Keppy, Roy, Golinghorst, George,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
A sticker reading "I am a Go Go Pork Producer" meant to be used to identify members of the pork producers at an annual banquet. The sticker was in a scrapbook created by Myrtle Keppy from 1956-1967.
Topics: Agriculture, Swine, Scott County Pork Producers
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Eckermann, Sarah
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Roy Keppy works on Glendale farm in rural Scott County, Iowa, near Eldridge. Keppy was a lifelong farmer and cared for pigs, calves, and crops his whole life. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm. This photo was taken by Sarah Eckermann as part of a 4-H project and was in Roy Keppy's 1968-1978 scrapbook.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Contest rules for the tenth annual baking contest using lard. The purpose of the contest is to demonstrate the value of lard as a shortening. One pound of white lard was given to each contestant from the Scott County Pork Producers. Items that could be baked with lard included: chocolate nut brownies, wheat bread, applesauce cake, pumpkin pie, cranberry nut bread, caramel nut cinnamon rolls.
Topics: Agriculture, Swine, Scott County Pork Producers, Baking
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
School children standing in front of Blue Grass Independent School
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Picture of lumber loaded on a horse drawn wagon at the railroad yard. Left to right are Otto Schroder, Fred Kautz, Walter Kautz and Adolph Schroder. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Lumberyards, Railroads, Schroder, Otto, Kautz, Fred, Kautz, Walter, Schroder, Adolph
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
Contest rules for the fourth annual baking contest using lard. The purpose of the contest is to demonstrate the value of lard as a shortening. One pound of white lard was given to each contestant from the Scott County Swine Producers (later known as the Scott County Pork Producers). Items that could be baked with lard included: chocolate chip cookies, white bread, cinnamon rolls, two crust cherry pie, one layer chocolate cake, and banana nut bread.
Topics: Agriculture, Scott County Pork Producers, Baking
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 5
favorite 0
comment 0
A steam-powered vehicle and piles of husks at the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. Water wagons were brought in for spectators and coffee was kept hot by old steam-powered farm vehicles.
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
The Town Hall was built in 1922 on N. Mississippi Street. W.G. Kupper served as mayor from 1918 to 1924 and was mayor when the town hall was built. The Fire Department was organized in 1925. The first motorized fire truck had two chemical tanks and was garaged under the town hall. The building was of modern concrete block construction. The main floor housed the mayor's office, council chamber and a filling room. There was a safe in the back room for town papers and a heater in the middle of the...
Topic: City & Town halls
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
 The first shareholder meeting of the Blue Grss Savings Bank was held at the Henry Hintz Hall on September 24, 1901 and the following were elected directors: Henry F. Wunder, John Plett, Edward Knaack, S.H. Moorehead, Edward Brus, Charles Ehrecke, J.H. Meyhaus, Chris Kautz, Jr. and Julius Schiele. The same day this board elected W.I. Vandevear, President, Julius Schiele, Vice President, Henry F. Wunder, Cashier and John Plett, Secretary. The Henry Hintz Corner (N. Mississippi & E. Mayne)...
Topics: Banks, Wunder, Henry F., Plett, John, Knaack, Edward, Moorehead, S.H., Brus, Edward, Ehrecke,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
The Plett Brothers, John, Henry and Herman, ran this General Merchandise and Grocery Store as early as 1892. The Modern Woodman of America Hall was above the store and the hall was used for community events. For a period of time the post office was housed in this building. In 1907 it was sold to Ed Plett and Henry Schroeder. From 1912 to 1940 Henry Schroeder operted the store and was the only owner. There was no grocery store in Blue Grass during thw war. In 1946 this building was reopened by...
Topics: Grocery stores, Postal service, Plett, John, Plett, Henry, Plett, Herman, Plett, Ed, Schroeder,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
On June 2, 1873, Isaac and Lucinda Barnes deeded property on East Orphed Street in Blue Grass for $75.00 to Valentine Wineman, John Barnes, G.W. Baker, Isaac Barnes, James H. Robinson and Abraham Stapleton as trustees of the Presbyterian Church of Blue Grass. A frame church was erected in 1873. It was used for woship from 1873 to 1970 when the congregation voted to relocate the church to the northwest part of town. The photograph is from around 1908. The Presbyterian Church organized in Blue...
Topics: Presbyterian churches, Barnes, Isaac, Barnes, Lucinda, Wineman, Valentine, Barnes, John, Baker,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
According to the 1920 census record, William A. Teufel was born in Iowa about 1877 and his wife Jennie was born about 1882 in Michigan. In 1937 he advertised he'd been in business 30 years so may have started around 1907. The business is advertised in the 1919 atlas as dealing in a "General Line of Horse Goods, Milwaukee Sanitary Cream Separators, Hog Oilers, Tonics, Sprays and Troughs". This picture was taken in 1925 when the road was being paved through town. Watching the workers...
Topics: Harnesses, Teufel, William A., Teufel, Jennie, Plett, Bill, Barnes, Chet, Hoffbauer, Edward
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
School building from N. Mississippi Street in Blue Grass
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
On June 2, 1873, Isaac and Lucinda Barnes deeded property on East Orphed Street in Blue Grass for $75.00 to Valentine Wineman, John Barnes, G.W. Baker, Isaac Barnes, James H. Robinson and Abraham Stapleton as trustees of the Presbyterian Church of Blue Grass. A frame church was erected in 1873. It was used for woship from 1873 to 1970 when the congregation voted to relocate the church to the northwest part of town. The photograph is from around 1908. The Presbyterian Church organized in Blue...
Topics: Presbyterian churches, Barnes, Isaac, Barnes, Lucinda, Wineman, Valentine, Barnes, John, Baker,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Shop located at W. Orphed St. Hugo Beckman is listed on the 1920 census record for Blue Grass as head of household, born in Iowa about 1889, wife Greta born about 1888, daughter Dorothy born about 1914 and son Walter born about 1918. Hugo and Greta Martens were married in 1912 in Davenport. Hugo served the community as a blacksmith and was also active in the social life of Blue Grass. He played the violin in the Blue Grass Community Orchestra during the 1920's. On Oct. 29, 1925, Hugo performed...
Topics: Blacksmithing, blacksmiths, Beckman, Hugo, Beckman, Greta, Martens, Greta, Beckman, Dorothy,...
Roy Keppy had recently installed zone air conditioning in his three farrowing barns at Glendale farm. The zone air conditioner blew directly on the hogs' heads and shoulders, helping them to eat, drink and milk better, according to a newspaper interview with Keppy. Keppy did some of the work himself to cut down on costs. He had been using zone air conditioning in one farrowing barn since 1964. At this time, many homes did not even have air conditioning.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Air conditioners
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
A hog barn on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Certificate of appreciation from the National 4-H Club Foundation to Roy and Myrtle Keppy for hosting a Luis Piedra as a youth exchange student from Costa Rica. The Keppys lived on Glendale Farm and were very active in many organizations in Scott County.
Topics: Agriculture, 4-H Clubs, Keppy, Myrtle, Keppy, Roy
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Hogs on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Mrs. Healey's class on porch of school
Topics: Healy, Mrs., Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
A group of students pose in front of a blackboard in a classroom
Topics: Schools, Education
Men stand with farm implements at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. Corn husking competitions, also known as "Nubbin' derbies" were started by Henry A. Wallace in the 1920s as a rural athletic competition. Wallace went on to become secretary of agriculture and vice-president of the United States.
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Hogs on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
A banquet gathering of the Scott County Pork Producers in 1974. Roy Keppy was president.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Ralph, Swine, Scott County Pork Producers
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
In the 1880s a spur line extended from Rock Island through Blue Grass to Cedar Rapids. Service ended on April 13, 1925. The depot was located north of Harrison St. Men in picture are J.F. Kautz and V.L. Beuter, station agent. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Railroad stations, Telegraph offices, Kautz, J.F., Beuter, B.L.
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Blue Grass School with large group of students pictured in front. For awhile Blue Grass had two schools, one south of Mayne Street and one north. This two room building, built on N. Mississippi Street in 1906, consolidated the two schools and was used until 1957 when the present Blue Grass school was built. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Schools, School children
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Mrs. Margaret Morris and Mrs. Marie Lindsay judge the 1958 Lard Baking Contest sponsored by the Scott County Pork Producers. This may have been the 2nd annual event of its type in Scott County. The lard contests were set up to demonstrate the value of lard as shortening. Each participant was given 1 lb of lard and required to submit a baked good entry. Contests included divisions for adults and juniors.
Topics: Agriculture, Scott County Pork Producers, Baking, Morris, Margaret, Lindsay, Marie
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
In 1906 this implement building, located on the north side of W. Mayne Street, next to the corner grocery store, was an implement dealership operated by Henry Plett. His brother, August Plett, operated it in 1910. There was a flour mill attached to the back of the building. For a period of time the Blue Grass Post Office was located in this building which was torn down in 1971. The building to the west was the Shellabarger Barber Shop operated by Russell Shellabarger from 1925 to 1945. The...
Topics: Agricultural equipment, Plett, Henry, Plett, August
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
Harry and Alfred Ehrecke, sons of Rudolph and Magdalena Kautz Ehrecke, built the first ice cream parlor in Blue Grass along W. Mayne Street. They sold only homemade ice cream. It was also a billiard hall. The Ehrecke's sold the business to Ray Broders in 1936. Mr. Broders took out a beer license and the ice cream parlor became a tavern. Mr. and Mrs. Broders held platform dances in the back yard of the tavern every Saturday night during the summer months. This is the current site of Uncle...
Topics: Ice cream parlors, Billiard parlors, Ehrecke, Alfred, Ehrecke, Harry, Broders, Ray
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Campbell, Scott
image
eye 4
favorite 0
comment 0
A photo from Roy Keppy's 1968-1978 scrapbook titled the Founding Fathers - Scott County Pork Producers. From left front row: Henry Clark, J.R. Underwood, Alvin Kay, and Roy Keppy. Back row: Jerry Greve, Ned Mohr, George Golinghorst, and Ed Geest.  The group was founded in 1956 by the men in the photo, along with Gene Bernick and Ted Gruenhagen, to promote the interests and advance the education of hog farmers in rural Scott County. The group was originally called the Scott County Swine...
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Clark, Henry, Underwood, J.R, Kay, Alvin, Keppy, Roy, Greve, Jerry,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
Chris Kautz General Store is located on the SE corner of Mayne and Mississippi Streets. The address is 101 E. Mayne St. The house to the left was lived in by Chris and his family. 1920 Census records for Blue Grass has the following information: Chris Kautz was born about 1857 in Illinois, his wife Sofia was born about 1876 in Iowa and his son Chris was born about 1909. Pictured is Walter Kautz, J.F. Kautz, Arthur Kautz, Chirs Kautz and Dr. W.I. Vanderveer. The store sold groceries, hardware,...
Topics: Grocery stores, Kautz, Chris, Kautz, Sofia, Kautz, Chris Jr., Jens, Elmer, Hoffbauer, Edward J.,...
Roy Keppy shows off his new air conditioner for his hog farrowing barn on Glendale farm. The zone airconditioner blew directly on the hogs' heads and shoulders, helping them to eat, drink and milk better, according to a newspaper interview with Keppy. Keppy did some of the work himself to cut down on costs. He had been using zone air conditioning in another farrowing barn since 1964. At this time, many homes did not even have air conditioning.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Air conditioners
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
 For awhile Blue Grass had two schools, one south of Mayne Street and one north. This two room building, built on N. Mississippi Street in 1906, consolidated the two schools and was used until 1957 when the present Blue Grass school was built. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Schools, School children
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
Hogs shelter under a wooden frame structure on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
Group of people, many with shovels, standing in snow-filled street near tavern. The Blue Grass Tavern, built in 1900 by Joe and Kate Mohr, is still standing at 101 W. Mayne Street. An undated news article reports a man was stabbed in the back and also slashed across the right side of his head while having a beer with friends at the Mohr Saloon. The Mohrs operated the tavern until 1918 after which there have been many owners and changes to the building. Except during the Prohibition period, it...
Topics: Bars, Prohibition, Mohr, Joe, Mohr, Kate
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
Two men standing on a snowy sidewalk in front of the bank.  The first shareholder meeting of the Blue Grss Savings Bank was held at the Henry Hintz Hall on September 24, 1901 and the following were elected directors: Henry F. Wunder, John Plett, Edward Knaack, S.H. Moorehead, Edward Brus, Charles Ehrecke, J.H. Meyhaus, Chris Kautz, Jr. and Julius Schiele. The same day this board elected W.I. Vandevear, President, Julius Schiele, Vice President, Henry F. Wunder, Cashier and John Plett,...
Topics: Banks, Wunder, Henry F., Plett, John, Knaack, Edward, Moorehead, S.H., Brus, Edward, Ehrecke,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
Around 1880 Asmus Mueller built the "Blue Grass House" on the north side of Mayne Street and Neisse, east of the present bank. The hotel included rooms, a saloon and a bowling alley. To the south across Mayne Street was a huge dance hall also operated by Mr. Mueller. Henry Hintz purchased the Blue Grass house in 1899. The hotel and bowling alley burned in 1903, as well as the dance hall. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description...
Topics: Hotels, Bowling alleys, Dance halls, Bars, Mueller, Asmus, Hintz, Henry
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
The roof is being added to a building in back of the implement building. In 1906 the implement building, located on the north side of West Mayne Street, next to the corner grocery store, was an implement dealership operated by Henry Plett. His borther August Plett operatd it in 1910. There was a flour mill attched to the back of the building. For a period of time the Blue Grass Post Office was located in this building which was torn down in 1971. The building to the west was the Shellabarger...
Topics: Agricultural equipment, Plett, Henry, Plett, August, Shellabarger, Russell
A group of wagons at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. Corn husking competitions, also known as "Nubbin' derbies" were started by Henry A. Wallace in the 1920s as a rural athletic competition. Wallace went on to become secretary of agriculture and vice-president of the United States.
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
The Blue Grass Tavern, built in 1900 by Joe and Kate Mohr, is still standing at 101 W. Mayne Street. An undated news article reports a man was stabbed in the back and also slashed across the right side of his head while having a beer with friends at the Mohr Saloon. The Mohrs operated the tavern until 1918 after which there have been many owners and changes to the building. Except during the Prohibition period, it has always been a tavern. It is presently The Corner Grill. This original...
Topics: Bars, Prohibition, Mohr, Joe, Mohr, Kate
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 3
favorite 0
comment 0
A hog exits an outbuilding on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
Farmers inspect an outbuilding on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Eldridge Cooperative Company
texts
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
A program and progress report for the Eldridge Cooperative Company on their Golden Anniversary. The cooperative was started in 1909. Farmers brought their own grains to have processed into feeds. In 1995, three cooperatives from Eldridge, Stockton, and Walcott merged into the River Valley Cooperative which is still member-owned in 2020.
Topics: Agriculture, Business & Finance, Anniversaries, Baetke, Ray, Kreiter, Willard, Mohr, Alvin,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
This picture was taken in the 1950s and is located at E. Mayne Street. In 1888 this building was Walter Benshoff's Butcher Shop. Walter was born Novermber 15, 1868 and attended school in Blue Grass. On May 3, 1891 he married Mary Proksch of Davenport. He was a livestock dealer when he established the butcher shop in 1888. He was active in it until he became seriously ill and died in November of 1936. After Walter's death, his son ran the business for awhile. It later doubled as a grocery store...
Topics: Butcher shops, Grocery stores, Benshoff, Walter, Proksch, Mary, Grim, John, Grim, Esther, Bey, Verna
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
 For awhile Blue Grass had two schools, one south of Mayne Street and one north. This two room building, built on N. Mississippi Street in 1906, consolidated the two schools and was used until 1957 when the present Blue Grass school was built. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Schools, School children
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Pictured is the remodeled and enlarged building of the Blue Grass Savings Bank in Blue Grass on E. Mayne St. The exterior is of gray-tan colored brick with stone trim. The interior has walnut woodwork and fixtures of the new, low type, fluorescent lighting and acoustical tile ceilings for sound control, and rubber tile floors. The building includes two new vaults, heavily reinforced with steel. In addition to the banking quarters there is a directors' room and an office for the president, Don...
Topics: Banks, Farley, Don
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
A crowd of people are gathered in front of the bank at 102 E. Mayne St. The first shareholder meeting of the Blue Grss Savings Bank was held at the Henry Hintz Hall on September 24, 1901 and the following were elected directors: Henry F. Wunder, John Plett, Edward Knaack, S.H. Moorehead, Edward Brus, Charles Ehrecke, J.H. Meyhaus, Chris Kautz, Jr. and Julius Schiele. The same day this board elected W.I. Vandevear, President, Julius Schiele, Vice President, Henry F. Wunder, Cashier and John...
Topics: Banks, Wunder, Henry F., Plett, John, Knaack, Edward, Moorehead, S.H., Brus, Edward, Ehrecke,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
The Blue Grass Tavern, built in 1900 by Joe and Kate Mohr, is still standing at 101 W. Mayne Street. An undated news article reports a man was stabbed in the back and also slashed across the right side of his head while having a beer with friends at the Mohr Saloon. The Mohrs operated the tavern until 1918 after which there have been many owners and changes to the building. Except during the Prohibition period, it has always been a tavern. It is presently The Corner Grill. This original...
Topics: Bars, Prohibition, Mohr, Joe, Mohr, Kate
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Unknown class photo of Blue Grass School students
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Older students pose on the front steps of Blue Grass Independent School
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Cows stand in a field at  the 17th Annual National Corn Husking Contest. The contest was held on the Henry Keppy farm 6 miles northwest of Davenport from October 27 -30, 1940. 
Topics: Corn husking, Agriculture
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Class from Blue Grass school posing in a classroom
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
Hogs on Glendale Farm, owned and operated by Roy Keppy and his family. Roy was an outspoken advocate for the advancement of science in farming and the consideration of the consumer. He served on numerous agricultural boards and committees as well as judging many hog shows. Many farmers, diplomats, and politicians visited his farm.
Topics: Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Keppy, Roy, Swine, Roy, Swine
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
In the 1880s a spur line extended from Rock Island through Blue Grass to Cedar Rapids. Service ended on April 13, 1925. The depot was located north of Harrison St. Men in picture are J.F. Kautz and V.L. Beuter, station agent. This original photograph hangs at the Corner Grill at 101 W Mayne St, Blue Grass. Description provided by the Blue Grass Historical Society.
Topics: Railroad stations, Telegraph offices, Kautz, J.F., Beuter, B.L.
The annual report of the Scott County Pork Producers for 1958 describing the 2nd annual banquet, a carcass contest at the Mississippi Valley Fair, and the lard baking contest.
Topics: Agriculture, Scott County Pork Producers, Baking, Keppy, Roy, Morris, Margaret, Lindsay, Marie,...
the Scott County Community Memory Project
by Scott County Library System
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
In 1906 this implement building, located on the north side of W. Mayne Street, next to the corner grocery store, was an implement dealership operated by Henry Plett. His brother, August Plett, operated it in 1910. There was a flour mill attached to the back of the building. For a period of time the Blue Grass Post Office was located in this building which was torn down in 1971. The building to the west was the Shellabarger Barber Shop operated by Russell Shellabarger from 1925 to 1945. The...
Topics: Agricultural equipment, Plett, August, Plett, Henry
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
A teacher and her young students on the steps of Blue Grass Independent School
Topics: Schools, Education
the Scott County Community Memory Project
image
eye 2
favorite 0
comment 0
A score sheet used in a Chicago Survey by Scott County Porkettes. The survey appears to interview grocery store customers about their meat and shopping preferences. The Porkettes were founded in 1964 as the women's arm of the pork producers associations.
Topics: Agriculture, Swine, Scott County Porkettes